top of page

Binky Yost Weber

Breast Cancer Survivor

"In July of 2014, I was doing my routine self exam and noticed a lump, one that I hadn’t noticed before. I was concerned the moment I felt it, but since I had a routine mammogram coming up in August I waited, thinking if it was something to worry about, the mammogram would detect it and my doctor would be informed. To my surprise, my results came back, and all was okay.  My fiance and I were planning a wedding in October 2013, so I had the conversation with him about detecting the lump. I wondered if he truly loved me enough to marry me, thinking he may have to go though all the horrible things that cancer brings with it. To hear him tell me, “Yes, baby, I’ll do whatever makes you happy, and I’ll be there for you no matter what” just lifted a heavy weight off my shoulders!  So on October 31, 2013, we became Mr. and Mrs. Weber.

My gynecologist sent me to have a sonogram done since the mammogram hadn’t detected anything. At this appointment I was told that it was not just a cyst and that by the form of the cell it needed to be biopsied. So they did a needle-extracted biopsy on me. We had an appointment set up to discuss my results just before Thanksgiving - and yes I had cancer. This was not a shock; I had prepared myself for this moment. On Thanksgiving day, my worst moment was to tell my children and mother! Everyone was in total shock, denial, and then finally acceptance.

My first conversation with my surgeon was that I could need a double mastectomy and possible hysterectomy if I had the gene that’s cancer dominant. I had blood drawn and sent out to test, but I received a call from the lab saying my insurance wouldn’t cover this test and that my cost would be $6,000. After picking myself up off the floor, I had to say, “No, I can’t afford it.” With much discussion on the most appropriate treatment for me, it was decided to perform a partial mastectomy and lympectomy.

The tests came back that the border cells were cancer free, and that I was in stage one of cancer with no cancer detected in my lymps. My doctor told me I did an awesome job finding it and getting it taken care of quickly; it is what kept me in stage one, which was awesome news. So after six weeks’ recovery after surgery, I started and completed 30 days of radiation treatment.

April 1, 2014, was my last day of radiation. I continue my self checks and mammogram every six months and am to this day cancer free. Check yourself as much as possible; you will notice if something is different, and if you do, have it checked! Don’t let it slide, even if you had a clean mammogram. Early detection can save your life. It saved mine!"

bottom of page